• Available for Adoption
  • Adoption Process
  • On-line Pre-adoption Form

  • Support Our Cause
  • Sponsor A Cat

  • How To Volunteer
  • On-line Application


  • Crash's Cafe Press Store
  • Crash's 2014 calendars

  • Crash's Story
  • Our Mission
  • Photo tour of Crash's

  • What's so special about Big Sid's?
  • The facts about FIV & FeLV
  • Photo tour of Big Sid's



  • Pet Friendly Apartments

  • Subscribe to our newsletter


Our featured cat for The River's Purrfect Friday: Archie

Here's what Dr. Jen had to say about Archie:

I really put on my thinking cap when I named this remarkable cat, even though by just reading the name Archie, you're probably thinking I didn't. But, as they say, every picture has a story, and so does every single cat that graces us with his presence. Archie's story is one worth reading.
Back in the summer of 2010, this handsome fella was TNR'd in the Heritage Hill area of Grand Rapids. He tested FIV-positive at some point, and was then housed at the facility of Focus on Ferals. He was on our waiting list quite a while before we were able to take him in on November 8th of that year, and during the waiting period, he suffered from a nasty skin infection secondary to flea allergy, a respiratory infection and an eye issue that went undiagnosed.
When he arrived, the shy but exceedingly sweet 3-year-old (born in April of 2007) had a central tongue ulcer, a bald rump, and goopy, inflamed eyes from a lower eyelid defect that caused them to roll in and rub on his corneas. Shortly after meeting him (and falling in love) I had to take him to surgery to repair the defects so he could see pain-free. Surgery went well after-hours that Tuesday, and he was cruising along up until the very end, when I noted he was breathing with great effort, even though he was intubated and on oxygen. As it turns out, Archie had an idiosyncratic reaction to one of the anesthetic agents I had used, and his lungs acutely filled up with fluid; this is known as Pulmonary Edema, and is life-threatening. I immediately administered large doses of a diuretic, woke him up from anesthesia, and monitored him closely. Within an few hours, his breathing was better, but his lungs still sounded like a coffee percolator, so more drugs were administered. By this time it was late, and he was resting comfortably, so I kissed him good night, said my prayers and went home, leaving him in the hands of a higher power.
When I arrived the next morning, Archie was no longer basically drowning, but had swum to the surface and was back to normal - THANK GOD! Considering what a close call I had with this wonderful boy, I just HAD to do some research and figure out the perfect name for him, as he was my miracle cat. So what else to do but look up a list of titanic survivors, and lo and behold, there it was: Major Archibald Willingham Butt - eureka! Now if it isn't obvious, the name fits him in so many ways: the bald rear end, the way he arches his back in delight when you scratch him, his strong will to live, the fact that he is quite the little ham, and the fact that he survived a near-drowning in a major way... well, you get the picture. :) I think you bond closely with a cat whose life hung in the balance precariously and whom you saved from the brink of death. You fight so hard to turn the situation around and bring him back to where he belongs that you can't help but give your heart and soul to the poor little creature. Times like this I feel honored to be able to do what I do.
This cat has a history of stomatitis.

Current residents
Crash's: 124
Big Sid's: 126

Since opening in Oct. 2002
2202 Adoptions
(221 from Big Sid's!)